Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
April, 2008 eNewsletter
- Sally's Cooking Classes
- Alaskan Cruise
Join Sally June 8-15, 2008 on the ms Zaandam and cruise from Vancouver, Canada to Seward (Anchorage), Alaska, on a Holland America ship. This "Northbound Glacier Bay Discovery" cruise stops at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, Alaska, and visits scenic glaciers along the way.
Sally will teach both demonstration and hands-on Pacific Northwest cooking classes as part of The Culinary Arts Center program. This is a groundbreaking program that integrates guests' love for fine food and wine with a unique and entertaining experience. Holland America has partnered with Food & Wine Magazine to create an innovative theatre-style venue with a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen. Come join the fun!
"Texas Treats" Cooking Class
Sally will be teaching a "Texas Treats" cooking class at Great News! Cooking School in San Diego, California on Saturday, May 3rd. Recipes will include: Frozen Margaritas, Shrimp & Crab Cocktail (Texas Style), King Ranch Chicken, Texas Caesar Salad, From-Scratch Buttermilk Biscuits, and Homemade Peach Cobbler. $49; 1-888-478-2433
- Cookbook Giveaway
- Our weekly cookbook giveaway continues to be quite popular. Have a friend sign up here for our eNewsletter and they will automatically be entered in our cookbook drawings.
- German Rote Grütze Dessert (German Red Fruit Pudding): Sharon Hudgins explains red grits with vanilla sauce and includes a recipe for this popular dessert.
- Roast Your Own Coffee Beans, by Jim Cameron, explains all that is needed to roast your own coffee beans at home is green coffee beans, an oven, cookie sheet, oven mitt, metal colander and a wooden spoon. Home roasting is one the fastest growing hobbies in the country.
Wine — It's Time for Wine columnists Sara & Monty Preiser showcase:
Let's Take a Tour of Quintessa, Havens Wine Cellars, Zahtila, Taylor Family, William Cole Vineyards, and Rutherford Grove.
What's Up in Sonoma County highlights J and Foppiano Vineyards, both of whom offer food tasting with their wines; Adobe Road, owned by a racing group; and three restaurants: Restaurant Mirepoix, General's Daughter and El Dorado Kitchen.
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Las Vegas Sally enjoys this Ritz-Carlton in Henderson, Nevada, 17 miles from the bustling Las Vegas Strip.
Top Lucky 13 Things to Enjoy in Las Vegas "From glamorous hotels, excellent restaurants, casinos, health spas, shopping and golf — Las Vegas has it all!" says Sally.
- Appalachian Spring: Asheville and Blowing Rock, North Carolina: Andrea Rademan visits Asheville, a year-round resort town tucked between the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains and the charming village of Blowing Rock, about an hour and a half from Asheville.
- Alaska Tour & Travel
- Alaska Tour & Travel specializes in custom Alaska vacations to Alaska's most spectacular destinations. Their knowledgeable staff can arrange vacation packages, hotels, tours and cruises, as well as transportation options like the Alaska Railroad, motor coach service and rental cars. Visit them today at alaskatravel.com.
- Your New Hotel and Vacation Guide
- hotels.bz is a new generation of domain names, innovative online hotel booking form that lists thousands of hotels around the world. The website assists and facilitates travelers making direct online bookings for hotels, packages, car rentals and flights.
- Make Cooking Your Career!
- Find a Culinary, Baking, Restaurant or Hospitality School near you. Get started on your path to an exciting career in the Culinary Arts, Baking, Restaurant/Hospitality Management or Tourism! Select a program you would like to learn more about, fill out a request, and receive additional information free.
- Greek Island Holidays
- Find your perfect holiday to Greece at On The Beach, the UK's premier online travel agent offering last minute cheap holidays to Greece as well as all inclusive package holidays to Greece.
- Holidays in Turkey
- Find holidays to Turkey and resorts throughout Turkey at On The Beach Holidays, the UK's premier online travel agent offering last minute cheap holidays to Turkey.
- Vacation Homes & Condo Rentals
- Skip the small hotel room and try renting a vacation home, cottage or condo. Vacation rentals offer more space and amenities, and can be more affordable than hotels, if you need more than one room for family or friends. Zonder.com makes booking vacation rentals easier than renting by owner. Just search for your vacation destination, enter your vacation dates, narrow your choices by rates, size and amenities, and book online.
- Split Bean Coffee
- As part of our 5th Anniversary Celebration, Split Bean Coffee is giving away coffee to its loyal customers. With any purchase of $25 or more (excluding shipping) you will receive a free 8 oz (1/2 pound) sample of one of our Micro-Roasted Coffees. You will also be entered in a drawing for a Gift Box valued at more than $60. The winner will be announced/notified on May 1st. Offer good from March 27 to April 27, 2008 — void where prohibited.
National Pecan Month & National Grilled Cheese Month
April 1: April Fool's Day
April 2: National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
April 5: National Raisin & Spice Bar Day
April 6: Teflon was invented by Roy Plunkett on April 6, 1938; The TV Dinner was introduced by Swanson on April 6, 1954; The Hostess Twinkie was sold for the first time in the US on April 6, 1931
April 7: Caramel Popcorn Day
April 13: National Peach Cobbler Day
April 14: National Pecan Day
April 15: First McDonalds Opens by Ray Kroc in Des Plaines, IL, 1955
April 16: National Eggs Benedict Day
April 17: National Cheeseball Day
April 19: National Garlic Day
April 20: National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day
April 22: Earth Day; National Jelly Bean Day
April 23: National Zucchini Bread Day
April 24: Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day
April 26: National Pretzel Day
April 27: National Prime Rib Day
April 29: National Shrimp Scampi Day