Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
June, 2008 eNewsletter
- Which Presidential Candidate has the most popular hot sauce?
- You may not have known that the presidential candidates had hot sauces, but they do and the profits go to cancer related charities. Do you know who is winning? Click the bottles to see the rankings (based upon sales). There is also a fun Mr. Potato Head Presidential game.
- 4 the Love of Coffee
- For a limited time, get 4 bags of roasted-to-order gourmet coffee…for just $8.95 (plus get free shipping)! Select your 4 favorite coffees and get ready to fall in love with Boca Java - YOU HAVE TO TASTE IT TO BELIEVE IT!
- Lorna Sass
- Sally's Place is pleased to welcome a new contributor. Lorna Sass is writing Going with the Grain and will be bringing us educational information about grains as well as healthy recipes. Lorna's 13th cookbook, Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, won a 2007 James Beard Foundation Award in the "healthy focus" category. Lorna is also a specialist in vegan cooking and is considered the country's leading authority on pressure cooking, having penned four cookbooks on the subject. The 20th anniversary edition of her groundbreaking Cooking Under Pressure will be published next year.
Sally's Cooking Classes
- Alaskan Cruise
- Join Sally June 8-15, 2008 on the ms Zaandam and cruise from Vancouver, Canada to Seward (Anchorage), Alaska, on a Holland America ship. This "Northbound Glacier Bay Discovery" cruise stops at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, Alaska, and visits scenic glaciers along the way. Sally will teach both demonstration and hands-on Pacific Northwest cooking classes as part of The Culinary Arts Center program. This is a groundbreaking program that integrates guests' love for fine food and wine with a unique and entertaining experience. Holland America has partnered with Food & Wine Magazine to create an innovative theatre-style venue with a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen. Don't miss your chance to sign up for this once in a lifetime experience!
- "Crazy for Cupcakes" Fundraiser
- On June 22 the San Diego Chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier International will hold a "Crazy for Cupcakes" fundraiser at the Macy's Cooking School. The event will feature 9 different cupcakes, sweet and savory, presented by Dames Sally Bernstein, Carole Bloom and Louise Mathews. 1 to 3:30 pm. $30 in advance/$35 at the door. For tickets call 619.825.9979.
- "Cereal Beyond the Bowl" by Lorna Sass, whose recipes use Vancouver-based organic company Nature's Path breakfast cereals.
- "Chocolate and Salt: An Inspired Combination" Stephanie Zonis talks about the difference salt can make when added to a recipe — even and especially chocolate recipes!
- "Eberle — Another Excellent Paso Robles Winery" by It's Time for Wine columnists Sara & Monty Preiser.
"New Fine Wine Competition Chooses the Winners" the Preisers review the inaugural South Florida Fine American Wine Competition in Boca Raton, Florida.
- "Berlin by Video Bus Tours" by Sharon Hudgins, who discovers a modern bus tour of Berlin with flat-screen video monitors and state-of-the-art audio/video equipment, augmented by multilingual tour guides well versed in the history of the city.
"Impressions of Istanbul" by Walter Glaser, who understands the words of Alphonse de Lamartine who said, "If one had but a single glance to give the world, one should gaze on Istanbul".
"Rancho La Puerta Fitness Resort & Spa" Sally visits this spa in Tecate, Mexico with it culinary center, La Cocina Que Canta.
- Kid-Friendly Zone
- "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania" by Elaine Sosa Labalme, showcases this historical city where Steven and his parents enjoyed the Liberty Bell, Shane Candies, Reading Terminal Market, museums and parks — and don't forget to Ride the Ducks!
- Father's Day Flowers
- Nationwide and Canadian flower delivery. Order early for Father's Day to ensure timely delivery.
- La Cense Grass Fed Beef
- You are what you eat and what your beef eats too. La Cense Beef raised naturally, compassionately and humanely with no hormones, no pesticides, no antibiotics. Order Now and Get Free Shipping.
- What's New in Cookbooks
- Get 4 Cookbooks For A Dollar Each (With Membership) at The Good Cook®. Choose from thousands of today's most tempting recipes, from fast to fancy: Traditional, Italian, Asian, and more — savor and save with membership. Click for Details
- Need Travel Plans?
- For an unforgettable day, week or weekend, embark upon a distinctive Culinary Getaway with Sherry Page. Experience the local culture in beautiful and flavorful Napa Valley, Provence or Paris.
- Jumping Cow Culinary Tours
- Arlene Krasner, who has written articles about Mexico for Sally's Place, will be leading a cooking tour of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. The tour, which runs from September 14 through 19, 2008, coincides with Mexican Independence Day on September 16.
- Cooking Schools Near You
- Do you love to cook? Why not make it your career? Get started on your path to an exciting career in the Culinary Arts, Baking, Restaurant/Hospitality Management or Tourism! Take the first steps by selecting a program you would like to learn more about, fill out a request, and receive additional information free.
- Vending Machines Worldwide
- Vending Machines Worldwide carries the world's largest selection of popcorn machines and vending machines.
- Mendocino County Wine Camp
- Wine Camp, an intimate, all inclusive three-day weekend, limited to eight campers is taking place at The Apple Farm in the heart of Mendocino County's spectacular Anderson Valley. The focus of this exciting epicurean expedition is to enhance one's knowledge and enjoyment of wine, food and the combination thereof.
Candy Month, Dairy Month (National), Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month (National), Iced Tea Month (National), and Turkey Lovers Month.
June 1: Donut Day
June 2: National Rocky Road Ice Cream Day
June 3: Egg Day
June 4: Cheese Day; National Frozen Yogurt Day
June 5: National Gingerbread Day
June 6: National Applesauce Cake Day
June 7: First day ice cream was sold in the US, June 7, 1786; National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
June 8: National Jelly-Filled Doughnut Day
June 12: National Peanut Butter Cookie Day
June 13: National Lobster Day
June 15: Father's Day
June 16: National Fudge Day
June 17: Eat Your Vegetables Day
June 18: International Picnic Day
June 20: Ice Cream Soda Day
June 21: First Day of Summer
June 22: National Chocolate Eclair Day
June 25: National Catfish Day
June 26: National Chocolate Pudding Day