Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
May, 2008 eNewsletter
- Get 4 Cookbooks for $1 Each with membership
- The Good Cook® serves up the best books for every season. Dazzle dinners in your home like a celebrity chef! Make the latest recipes from the Food Network® stars in your kitchen. Click for Details
Sally's Cooking Classes
- Alaskan Cruise
- Join Sally June 8-15, 2008 on the ms Zaandam and cruise from Vancouver, Canada to Seward (Anchorage), Alaska, on a Holland America ship. This "Northbound Glacier Bay Discovery" cruise stops at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, Alaska, and visits scenic glaciers along the way.
Sally will teach both demonstration and hands-on Pacific Northwest cooking classes as part of The Culinary Arts Center program. This is a groundbreaking program that integrates guests' love for fine food and wine with a unique and entertaining experience. Holland America has partnered with Food & Wine Magazine to create an innovative theatre-style venue with a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen. Don't miss your chance to sign up for this once in a lifetime experience!
- "Texas Treats" Cooking Class
- Sally will be teaching a "Texas Treats" cooking class at Great News! Cooking School in San Diego, California on Saturday, May 3rd at 11:00 a.m. Recipes will include: Frozen Margaritas, Shrimp & Crab Cocktail (Texas Style), King Ranch Chicken, Texas Caesar Salad, From-Scratch Buttermilk Biscuits, and Homemade Peach Cobbler. $49; 1-888-478-243
- "Crazy for Cupcakes" Fundraiser
- On June 22 the San Diego Chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier International will hold a "Crazy for Cupcakes" fundraiser at the Macy's Cooking School. The event will feature 9 different cupcakes, sweet and savory, presented by Dames Sally Bernstein, Carole Bloom and Louise Mathews. 1 to 3:30 pm. $30 in advance/$35 at the door. For tickets call 619.825.9979.
- Freezer Tips Mary Bloch shares her myriad of options for the freezer that many people have never contemplated.
- The Mavericks of American Chocolate
Stephanie Zonis waxes poetic about chocolate-makers, who manufacture the actual bean-to-bar chocolate. These small-scale producers are solely United States based companies.
- Eight Restaurants Not to Be Missed as You Travel the World as Walter Glaser takes us to Dubai, Moscow, Eurodisney, Melbourne, the Turkish Coast, St. Petersburg, Russia and Hampshire, England.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Elaine Sosa Labalme.
Wine — It's Time for Wine columnists Sara & Monty Preiser showcase:
Spectacular Wines from Old and New Friends showcases Palmaz Vineyards in the Napa Valley and Ramey Wine Cellars in Healdsburg.
Ice Wine is for All Seasons explains that ice wine is a wine made from grapes which have frozen on the vine. Primary producers are Canada, the U.S. and Europe.
Rocca on a Rampage tells of Napa's Rocca Family Vineyards being selected by the prestigious California “Vintner's Club” as one of 12 Cabernet Sauvignons to be judged in Bordeaux by a panel of French experts.
Have You Seen Tigers in the Wild? Walter Glaser visits Aman Resorts in the Rathambore National Park in India to see these graceful animals.
- Mother Day Flowers
- Nationwide and Canadian flower delivery. Order early for Mother's Day to ensure timely delivery.
- The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California
- Saturday, May 10 is the Exhibit Launch featuring the Five-Ton Computing Engine: Charles Babbage's Difference Engine No. 2. This day will be filled with Victorian fun...displayed for the first time in North American, come see and hear the Engine working - a stunning display of Victorian mechanics and an arresting spectacle of automatic computing. No admission charge.
- Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse in Mendocino, California
- Dennen's has a new 2 room suite called the Mendocino Suite! It has 2 decks, 2 wood burning fireplaces, a 4x6 bubble jet tub, separate bathroom with stall shower, wet bar, refrigerator, king feather bed, TV, DVD, CD, free hi-speed Wi-Fi, and full breakfast delivered to the privacy of your room each morning. The cost is only $255 per night, plus taxes. Also, after 10 years and much work on the inn, The Carriage House Room finally got its face lift…now with a king size bed, a single and a hide-a-bed, new carpet and paint. The cost is only $185 per night plus $25 for each extra person and includes the delivered breakfast.
- Hilton Head Real Estate Portal
- Looking for homes, villas or condos and lots? Search everything the web has to offer, right here! Our agent specialists are the best on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- Bucks County Chocolate Show
- Sunday, June 1st, 10 am to 4 pm, New Hope Eagle Fire Company, New Hope, PA. Demonstrations and exhibitors. Admission: $10.00 per adult, $7.00 for seniors and students, children under ten are free. A portion of the proceeds will go to the National Wildlife Federation.
National Asparagus Month, Bar-B-Que Month, National Egg Month, National Hamburger Month, National Salad Month, National Salsa Month, National Strawberry Month, National Vinegar Month, and Sweet Vidalia Onions Month.
Third Week: American Craft Beer Week; Bread Week
Fourth Week: Pickle Week
May 1: May Day
May 3: National Homebrew Day
May 4: National Candied Orange Peel Day
May 5: Cinco De Mayo; James Beard's Birthday (1903-1985); Totally Chipotle Day; National Hoagie Day
May 6: International No Diet Day; Beverage Day
May 7: National Roast Leg of Lamb Day
May 8: Have A Coke Day
May 11: Mother's Day
May 12: National Nutty Fudge Day
May 15: National Chocolate Chip Day
May 16: National Pizza Party Day
May 20: Weights and Measures Day
May 21: National Waitresses/Waiters Day
May 23: National Taffy Day
May 24: National Escargot Day
May 26: Memorial Day (observed); Blueberry Cheesecake Day
May 28: National Hamburger Day
May 30: Memorial Day (actual); Ice Cream Freezer Patented in 1848 by William Young
May 31: National Macaroon Day