Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
January, 2009 eNewsletter
Sapphire Pantry in Laguna Beach, California, is offering our readers a 10% savings on all items in their gourmet shop (excluding alcohol).
Adjacent to Sapphire Laguna restaurant, Sapphire Pantry is a gourmet shop featuring fine wines, an extensive selection of artisan cheeses from around the world, local produce and a wide variety of specialty products including: crackers, olives, condiments, homemade breads and pastries, pastas, deli meats, artisan butter, exotic chocolates, gourmet bake mixes and gift baskets. Freshly made food for take-home meals, parties and picnics include an ever-changing menu of savory salads, charcuteries and restaurant-prepared delicacies.
Sapphire Pantry is open daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Located at The Old Pottery Place: 1200 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA 92651. (949) 715-9889.
Wine by Monty and Sara Preiser
- "A Wine Classic That Lives Up To Its Name" showcases The Central Coast Wine Classic in California.
- "The Marketing of Wine Phrases" includes an explanation of Estate Bottled, Estate Wine and Reserve.
- "The Napa Valley Vintners Take on Climate Change" focuses on a meeting of more than 100 vintners who studied the group's ongoing Climate Study Task Force. A top-notch panel of climate experts assembled to speak about this global problem and its local impact.
Wine & Travel
- "My Napa Connection" Jon and son Jon Rusciano visit Ludwig's Fine Wine & Spirits in San Anselmo, California, and wineries in the Napa Valley.
- "A Wedding, a Zoo and a Royal Burgh in Scotland Visited in a Volvo V70" Keith Allan and Lynne Gray visited the Edinburgh Zoo and Culross in Fife after their daughter's wedding in Northumberland.
- "Christmas in Quebec" Barbara Gibbs Ostmann says if you are dreaming of a white Christmas, Quebec, Canada, is the place to go.
- "New Christmas Markets of Northern Germany" Barbara Gibbs Ostmann delights in the over 2,500 Christmas markets in Germany. She details the markets in Lubeck, Bremen, Celle, and Hamburg. A recipe for Mulled Wine is included.
Hot Tea Month; National Oatmeal Month; National Soup Month; Prune Breakfast Month; California Dried Plum Digestive Month; Coffee Gourmet Month (International); Retail Bakers Month; Diet Month, Fat-Free Living Month, Lose Weight & Feel Great Month.
January 1: New Year's Day
January 3: Fruitcake Toss Day; Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
January 4: Spaghetti Day
January 6: Bean Day
January 8: English Toffee Day
January 9: National Apricot Day
January 10: Where's the Beef Day—anniversary of the first time Wendy's Restaurant's commercial aired in 1984 with Clara Peller asking "Where's The Beef?”
January 11: Milk Day—milk delivered in bottles for the first time in 1878.
January 19: National Popcorn Day
January 20: National Buttercrunch Day; Cheese Day
January 21: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 22: National Blonde Brownie Day
January 23: National Pie Day
January 24: Beer Can Appreciation Day; Eskimo Pie patented by Christian Nelson in 1922.
January 26: Peanut Brittle Day
January 27: Chocolate Cake Day
January 29: National Cornchip Day
January 31: National Popcorn Day