Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
Chinese Deep-Fried Shrimp Balls
Yields 2 dozen
1 pound medium-sized shrimp in shells
3 ounces ground pork
¼ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg white
¼ cup flour
3 cups cooking oil for deep-frying
Honey mustard sauce:
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons plum sauce
¼ cup honey
To Prepare Ahead;
- Shell, devein, and rinse shrimp. Drain thoroughly.
- Add shrimp, pork and marinade to a food processor using the metal blade. Process for a few seconds, until shrimp is pasty. Remove to a bowl.
- Dust a cookie sheet with flour. Shape shrimp mixture into 1-inch balls. Place them on the cookie sheet.
- Heat 3 cups oil in a wok to 375 °F.
- Drop 8 shrimp balls into hot oil carefully, one at a time. Deep-fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Deep-fry the remaining shrimp balls and serve with honey mustard sauce.
© Dorothy Huang, 2005
As Houston, Texas’ renowned Chinese cooking teacher, Dorothy Huang (email@example.com) has taught thousands of people to embrace Chinese cooking in their homes. Her second cookbook, Chinese Cuisine, Made Simple, includes 160 mouth-watering recipes and beautiful color photographs.